This year it seems important to remember the best of 2011. Many of you know that the past few years have been difficult for us in various ways. I believe it is even more appropriate to give thanks to God and remember his goodnes in the hard times. Being grateful comes easy when life is good and easy. In recent times God has stretched and challenged us to always give thanks—even when things are difficult.
My best of 2011 list:
- My mother Dina celebrated eight decades of life in March! She still travels—this year that included the Netherlands, Budapest, the Caribbean on her first cruise, Vancouver and Victoria. I love my mom! She is awesome. I hope I have half her energy if I get to that age. You go, Mom!
- Fred and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary in March. (I know you all think that I married in elementary school, ha ha.) Fred is a great man! I would marry him all over again. "Thanks honey for your love and support. I love you." Fred is the president and owner of CFO Plus. He is an amazing CFO, a certified fraud investigator and a certified valuation analyst. I am very proud of him.
- The changes and growth in my son's life. He is growing up to be a wonderful young man. He is finding his way back to God. I am so happy God gave him to us.
- Hardship. Yes, the tough times! Why are they on my best list? Because they helped me to grow, love God more deeply, depend on him more fully, learn about prayer, and clarify my priorities.
- The Caribbean—especially Aruba and Curacao. My mom took my sister Suzanne, me, and our families, on a cruise to the Caribbean to celebrate her milestone birthday. We went late June/early July. It was amazing! We had a great time. The sun, the deep blue of the Caribbean sea, the beaches, the Dutch food!, the culture, Old San Juan PR—It was spectacular. I want to go back to Aruba and Curacao!
- My book. I finished my manuscript for "The Story Lives." It's been a labor of love and a 10 year (!) process. I attended my first Christian writer's conference at Mt. Hermon in 2001. David Kopp encouraged me during a meeting about some work I submitted. At a later conference, I attended one of his classes. Over the years I have started and stopped several books until I "found" this one. Now it's written—all 200 pages. I am working to get it published. Stay tuned. I am also setting up "The Story Lives" website. I will let you know when it goes live.
- Semper Vita Institute. I relaunched my training business. I am a certified StrengthsFinder and Myers-Briggs coach and do Strengths and MBTI training. I love it.
- Go Group. Cindy Patterson and I were part of a great and unusual small group this past year (actually the past 18 months). We had the privilege of journeying with nine other women. God worked deeply in all of us. Cindy nor I had ever seen anything like it.
That is my list. There were many other note worthy things and great people along the journey. How about you? What was your best in 2011? How have you grown? What were your adventures? I'd love to hear from you!